McBride - Bumpus Genealogy
The city of Franklin was selected as the county seat
on March 26, 1808. It originally laid out in 1795 at the
site of Fort Franklin, which was built in 1787 & named
after Dr. Benjamin Franklin. The town was incorporated
as a borough in April 1828 and chartered as a city on
April 4, 1868.
Oil City, at the junction of Oil Creek & the Allegheny
River, was settled in 1825 and remained a small village
until 1860 when the town's oil wells were developed.
In 1892, the town of Oil City was destroyed & hundreds
of residents killed when burning oil rushed down Oil
Creek from Titusville. Damage was estimated at over
1 million dollars.
The county of Venango, located in the northwestern part of Pennsylvania, was created on
March 12, 1800 from parts of Allegheny and Lycoming Counties and was attached to Crawford
County until 1805. The name Venango is an Indian term meaning French Creek.
In 1839, part of the county became Clarion County (some Clarion records from 1800-1839
are found in Venango County). Additionally, part of Venango County was included in Forest
County in 1848.
Venango County is bordered on the north by Crawford and Warren Counties, on the east
by Forest and Clarion Counties, on the south by Butler County & on the west by Mercer County.
Short County History
VENANGO COUNTY , Pennsylvania
exerpt from your Family Tree, 1958
Drake Well - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Drake Oil Well Built 1859
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Built by Edwin Drake , William A. Smith
U.S. National Historic Landmark NRHP reference # 66000695 
Replica engine house and derrick in June 2012 Significant Dates
[Drake Well is located in Pennsylvania] Added to NRHP November 13, 1966
[Drake Well] Designated NHL November 13, 1966
Location Cherrytree Twp, Venango County, Pa
Nearest city Titusville, Pennsylvania
Coordinates 41°36′39″N 79°39′27.7″WCoordinates: 41°36′39″N 79°39′27.7″W
The Drake Well is a 69.5-foot-deep (21.2 m) oil well in Cherrytree Township, Venango County
in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, the success of which sparked the first oil boom in the
United States. The well is the centerpiece of the Drake Well Museum located 3 miles (5 km) south of Titusville.
Drilled by Edwin Drake in 1859, along the banks of Oil Creek, it is the first commercial oil
well in the United States. Drake Well was listed on National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. It was designated a Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark in 1979. The well was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark in 2009, on the sesquicentennial of the strike.
The Drake Well is often referred to as the first commercial oil well, although that title is also claimed for wells in Azerbaijan, Ontario, West Virginia, and Poland, among others. However, before the Drake Well, oil-producing wells in the United States were wells that were drilled
for salt brine, and produced oil and gas only as accidental byproducts. An intended drinking
water well at Oil Springs, Ontario found oil in 1858, a year before the Drake Well, but it had
not been drilled for oil. Historians have noted that the importance of the Drake Well was not
in being the first well to produce oil, but in attracting the first great wave of investment in oil
drilling, refining, and marketing:
The importance of the Drake Well was in the fact that it caused prompt additional drilling,
thus establishing a supply of petroleum in sufficient quantity to support business enterprises
Among the first settlers at Franklin were George Powers, William Connally, Col. McDowell,
Samuel Ray, and John Andrews.
News and Notes:
• Major George Washington came to Venango County in 1753 to interview the French
Commander at Fort Dusquesne.
• The Indians used the oil found in this area as a base for their war paint (it gave it
permanence). They also used the oil as part of their religious ceremonies.